My little Tanner bug had his first trip to the ER (it was also my first trip to the ER as a mama). He was at the babysitters while I was out shopping with David's mom. We were only gone about an hour when Melissa called to say that Tanner had pulled himself up to the file cabinet and fell back on his bottom. He bit his tongue and it was bleeding.... a lot...... She said it had been about 15-20 min and it wasn't slowing down. We came home and I snuggled my little TJ. I called the pediatrician after about an hour because it was continuuing to bleed. She told me just to put him down for a nap and hopefully it would clot. I kept checking on my little bug and he was sleeping so peacefully. He woke up 2 hrs later with blood crusted across his face. He sat up, saw me and smiled, and bright red blood continued to pool down his chin. It had been about 4 hrs since the accident. I called the doctor again and she wanted me to take him to Primary Children's. I told her I wanted her to look at it first before I drove all the way to Salt Lake. I quickly bathed him and got him in the car. As we were pulling out I heard him throw up (Dave's mom was in the back with him). I threw the car in park and jumped out. I knew the sight wasn't going to be pretty. He was covered in black, coffee ground colored emesis. So sad! I started freaking out with the amount he had just vomited. Brigitte ran inside to start the bath as I was stripping off his clothes in the driveway (sorry to any neighbors who had to observe the bloody scene in our yard!) He was getting so pale and lethargic. I yelled to Brigitte to just come out to the car because we didn't have time to bathe him. As we drove to Layton I pleaded with Heavenly Father to help stop the bleeding and keep my baby boy safe. I didn't realize how much blood he was swallowing. I felt like such a bad mom that I had just put him in his crib to let him "sleep it off." When we finally arrived at the doctors (I was seriously out of my mind, why didn't I just go straight to the ER?) little Tanner was so white. He didn't have any color left in his lips. His ears, and nose were also completely white. I was crying and just praying that my baby would be ok. Right before we got to the reception desk he puked again! all over both of us!! It was seriously such a mess! Once the doctor saw Tanner she told me she was calling the ER, and she wanted me to walk over there. She looked at his tongue and it had FINALLY stopped bleeding.....5 hrs later! The medical assistant came with us. I was shaking so hard, I could barely fill out the paperwork. Once the nurse brought us back she took one look at Tanner and switched gears. She took us to a trauma room and then 4 nurses came flying in getting him all hooked up to the monitors and started poking on my little man. It took them 4 tries to get the IV in and labs drawn. I couldn't believe all this was happening over a dumb little tongue bite! Needless to say, after a CT scan, fluid boluses, a visit from the ENT, and an expensive bill later he is home and healthy! Words seriously could not express how grateful I was to see him become my smiling and AWAKE little Tanner again. I never EVER want to experience something like that again....... I do realize I have 2 boys, so the likelihood of that is small. Dang!
7 years ago
8 comments:
Poor Tanner and Poor You!! I don't ever want to go through that but I am sure somethings are out of our control. I am so happy he is better. I was so sick when you texted us and was about ready to vomit from worry as well. Glad you are both happy and can't wait to hug and kiss him... just him Jamie, sorry! :)
Poor little guy!!! Ahhh that sounded so traumatic and scary! Sooo sorry Jamie! Glad he's better now!
Dang! So sorry. I am curious to know though, did the er end up doing anything for him since it finally stopped, or did they just do a lot of tests? Cant help but wonder:). Btw, i would have been the same way as far as waiting. People freak out so much over nothing and i tend to be opposite:)
Wow! Sounds like a crazy thing! So, what did they say was wrong with him? Lost too much blood? Well Glad he's okay.
Linds- they didn't end up doing anything besides the fluid boluses because it stopped on its own..... An ENT came to look at it to see if he needed to sew it up. Since it was punctured and not a laceration, there was nothing to sew. They did check a CBC and coags to make sure he was clotting ok. That was normal, thank heavens!!
Em- he was lethargic because he lost way too much blood.... normal for him is 35-40, and he was down to 27. Poor little thing...
I am so sorry. ER are not fun places, especially for little tikes and their mommas.
Reading this kind of freaks me out about it all over again! HOPEFULLY nothing like this will ever happen again, we are all so lucky that he is ok! After seeing all the blood on the blankets and in the driveway and all over you...and in his crib....and EVERYWHERE else, I think it is amazing that he is ok. Who ever would have thought that biting your tounge would have caused so much....SORRY :(
How crazy is that I'm sorry jamie also happy bday to Landon hope its a good day
Post a Comment