COLEMAN FAMILY
EST. 2005

Friday, November 26, 2010

TANNER'S STORY


The entire week before Tanner was born I was trying all sorts of different things to get my labor going. I had been having Braxton Hicks contractions since I was 16 weeks pregnant, and I was so done with being pregnant!! The doctor tried stripping my membranes, but I was only dilated to 1 and that didn't work. I was so disappointed! (I went into labor the next day with Landon after my membranes were stripped) So I started trying other "natural" ways-- you know, like jumping on the trampoline, moving heavy furniture, eating pineapple, the thing that gets you pregnant.... you name it! Nothing was working!! On Friday night, after I got off work I decided I was going to try Castor Oil. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be. I drank it at 9 pm, and 6 hrs later I was having strong contractions, especially in my back. I tried to wake David up to tell him I was in labor, but he just rolled over and went back to sleep!! I hadn't packed for the hospital yet because I really didn't think I was going to have this baby until I was 40 wks along, so I started throwing things in a bag and getting everything all ready to head to the hospital. I really wasn't sure if I was in labor because it was so different than my experience with Landon. The back pain felt the same but only on my right side, and the contractions were irregular. I called the hospital at 7 am to ask them if I should come in or not. They told me to drink a lot of water and take a warm bath (both things I had been doing all night), and if the pain stayed the same or intensified to come into the hospital. By 10 am I was ready to go. The pain was getting worse, and I was stressed because the contractions were so irregular. I would have them 2 min apart for an hr, then they would slow down to 5-6 min. After dropping off Landon at his babysitters (she was amazing and watched him for 24 hrs!! and he did great--I was so worried he was going to fall apart without me.... he didn't even care!) Anyways, after checking in at the hospital the nurse checked me and I was only dilated to 2+! I thought I would be at least a 4-- it was going to be a long day. The nurse thought I might have a kidney infection because the pain was only on the right side of my back, but after connecting me to the monitors it showed I was having contractions non-stop! So I was going to stay and have a baby!!! Here is a breakdown of day......
10:30 am-- checked into the hospital
11:30 am-- on-call physician broke my water, still dilated to 2
12:00 pm--epidural in! magical stuff : ) This epidural wasn't as easy as my 1st. Since my contractions were non-stop I was having a hard time holding still for the anesthesiologist. It was the most intense pain I have ever felt!! After the epidural the nurse checked me again and I was dilated to 4. So glad I dilated 2 cm while trying to hold still curled up in a ball position! : ( Also, my blood pressure dropped to 59/27. I felt horrible! I was on my way to passing out, but they rushed the anesthesiologist in and he gave me some Ephedrine in my IV and a shot in my leg. It helped me really quick. I was so relieved!
2:00 pm-dilated to 5, and stayed this way for the next 9+ hrs!!
11:00 pm-- My doctor came in to "assess" me and he tried talking me into a c-section. He said that because I hadn't dilated at all in the past 9 hrs that most likely I wouldn't be able to have this baby naturally. I was so disappointed and freaking out! I had not planned on a c-section, and I wasn't ready for that mentally or physically! We told the doctor we wanted to discuss it privately and decide what we needed to do. David offered a prayer (mostly for comfort for me) but also for some direction as to what we needed to do. We both felt like we needed to wait until midnight to see if I was progressing at all. The doctor was annoyed with our decision. I know he just wanted to cut me open, take the baby, and go home and get in his bed! (I need a new OB by the way). Well, by midnight I was dilated to 10! The nurse left the Pitocin running for another 1/2 hr just so the contractions would bring Tanner down a little bit more. I was still carrying him so high! I started pushing just after 12:30 and by 12:43 our little miracle arrived! That was such a relief to only push 5 or 6 times.

Here's the naked belly the day before I delivered. I was on my way to work, and David came rushing down the stairs with the camera telling me we needed a picture "cause you never know when that baby is coming!"

"Patiently" waiting......

My guy getting all checked out! He isn't as chubby as we thought, he just had a lot of swelling to his face.


Proud Papa cuddling his newest little man.


The 3 of us looking so tired!!!


1st glimpse of my little guy. My favorite moment......

Janet brought Landon to meet his new little brother on Sunday. He is so cute with him. He loves holding Tanner, and cuddling him. I am so excited for them to grow up together! I love my boys so much!!
Giving him kisses!

1st time holding him. He had a little grin on his face the entire time! So cute. : )

Heading home!! Yeah! : )

I am so grateful I have this precious little baby in my life. He is such a joy and blessing to us. We are adjusting to life with 2 little ones and are having such a fun time watching Landon interact with his brother. We are so blessed!

10 comments:

Quast Family said...

so excited for you!! cant wait to see more pics :)

and if ur in the salt lake area, i LOVE my ob!! vernon yamashiro :)

amanda

Liz said...

I love the "tired" picture of you, Dave, and Tanner. Having a new baby in the house is magical, isn't it?

Lacy K. said...

Congrats! Hope everything is going well for you:)

Gillian said...

Jamie he is beautiful! I am so happy for you guys and your family. What a great story of faith and blessings. We love you guys and hope to see you soon!

Emily and Ryan said...

Congrats! I am so proud of you guys for telling your doc what you felt! I loved the birth story. What a huge blessing! He is beautiful.

Ninny said...

I just love your little boys so much. I am happy for both of you. I just have to tell you how sad I was and still am that I was not able to be there to support you and help. I cried when I read this and am so luck to be as close as we are. Give the boys kisses for me..... Oh by the way, you look wonderful in the pictures.

Tory and Elizabeth said...

Serious Congratulations!!! What a sweet little addition to your amazing family. Getting these little munchkins here is hard work, but so worth it.

Jenni S said...

Congratulations you guys! What a sweet little guy. :)

Steph said...

Congrats Jamie! You look amazing after delivery. He is so darling! I am so excited for you and your fam!

Glitzy Glass said...

I am serious, you have no buldges...you look so hot with your shirt up! Wow!